Sep 23, 2007

Is being stuck another way of quiting?

Reading books always sounds like such a relaxing activity, but the reality is that I am not a very good reader. I can easily start a book, but following through to completion is a difficult task. I love the idea of curling up on the couch with a blanket, hot drink and a good book, but instead I find myself reading for a few minutes before I drift off to sleep. I discovered that there are currently three books sitting by my bed, each book I have began reading and somewhere along the way I find myself stuck and unable to finish. After talking with an English teacher friend, she told me to give myself permission to quit. As a former counselor, I took that message and analyzed how that relates to me and my life. I continue to believe that I will finish reading all three of the books by my bed. I tell myself that I don't quit...I finish everything that I start. But staying stuck is not finishing the books. So do I give myself permission to quit or do I find a way to push past the reasons for being stuck and finish the things that I start?

No comments: